Monday, April 04, 2005

What's in your drink?

In class today we are starting the chapter on Alcohol. I found some interesting stats that I'd like to share.

*Teens who start drinking under the age of 15 are 4 times more likely to become an alcoholic than people who are 21.*

What is "proof"? We've all seen it on bottles, what does it mean? Proof= measure of % alcohol in beverage. To find out what % of alcohol is in a given drink, take the proof and divide it by 2.

Example: Absolute Vodka 80 proof is 40% pure alcohol

Here are some common drinks and what % of alcohol they have:

Beer- generally 4-6% alcohol:
Bud Light- 4.2%
Budweiser- 5%
Corona- 4.6%
Miller High Life- 4.7%
Miller Lite- 4.2%
Colt 45 Malt- 5.6%
Olde English- 8%

Wine- to be considered "table wine" in the US, it has to be under 14% alcohol
Champagne- 12%-14% alcohol

Finally, the mother of all alcohols.........drumroll please.........coming in with 190 Proof and 95% pure grain alcohol................EVERCLEAR!!!!!! This stuff is so bad it can take paint off walls, I've seen it! A student of mine last hour said her mom uses it to clean her house. I tried it once and it was like swallowing knives. Its illegal in many states, including Illinois.

If there are any other beverages you'd like to know the content of, just leave me a comment and I'll do my best to find that for you. I tried finding Moonshine info, but didn't have much reliable luck.

13 Comments:

At 5:07 PM , Blogger E said...

What about kids who start drinking under the age of 6?

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger E said...

and that everclear is not THAT strong. I saw a girl do shots of it.

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

It is that strong, she's just a tough little cookie!

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger E said...

Oh yeah and the alcohol in alcohol is not pure alcohol. It itself is a mixture.
hmmmmm... that didn't make much sense

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger E said...

The Illini lost last night. I was rooting for them, but lost. There are a lot of sad men in Illinois today. Ladies, be extra nice to your men.

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger E said...

and now my bitter hands are chafe beneath the clouds, of what was everything?
all the pictures have all been washed in black, tatooed everything.

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger E said...

My head is spinning, how quick the sun can drive away. My world's been turned to black.

 
At 1:44 PM , Blogger E said...

I know someday I'll be a star in someone's sky. Just wondering when that will be.

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

well you're already a pain in my side so thats a start! A star in the sky can't be that far off.

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger E said...

April 6, 2005
I found a poem I'd like to share. The poem is about the children. :)

Children

Children love, they laugh, they care.
Children, bless them, they know how to share.
Children try hard to be what you want,
Sometimes they can't and they start
To cry, that's when a hug or a
Kiss is the tool, no not a spanking
That's not the rule.
Children do good and children do bad,
Children are happy and children are sad.
Children must walk before they
Can run, all of us wake to the
Bright morning sun.
So cherish the children these
Treasures from God, for without
Them the Earth would be nothing
But water and sod.

-Dewey Nixon

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

That poem was lovely and touching. Too bad those children who are alcoholics, get knocked up, then have a baby with Fetal Alchol Syndrome and that kid gets into a fight and get suspended like one of my students today!

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger E said...

That's television's fault.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

well if its video games, then you're screwed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home