Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Day of Silence = quieter classes

Several students are either walking around with the following message taped to their chest or have handed it to me at the beginning of class. Apparently 4/26 is the Day of Silence:

"Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harrassment, prejudice and discrimination. I believe that ending the silence is the first step towards fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO END THE SILENCE?"

Ummmmmm, nothing, it's been a bit quieter in my classes today.....tasteless, I know. Do I think that GLBT people should be harrassed, nope. Do I think this day of silence is wrong, nope, I'm indifferent really. I may be Republican but as far as all this goes, I really don't care who loves who...just be happy. I get a little sketchy when it comes the marriage and the perks that come with it and have a few concens about adoption, but I'm not nuts about it.

5 Comments:

At 5:35 PM , Blogger Military Arms said...

Same here... what two adults decide to do in their private lives has nothing to do with me.

That's what freedom is all about, living free and doing what makes you happy.

I'm a conservative but on this issue, like you Tori, it's pretty much a non-issue.

Some conservatives think they can keep gays in the closet forever... out of sight out of mind. But that's just plain silly. Get over it people.

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

Happy 30th Birthday Eddie!!!!! Do anything exciting to celebrate or did you remain silent in honor of this special day.

 
At 11:37 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

at least you aren't administering standardized testing to a bunch of freshman all day "please open your textbooks to page, blah blah blah"

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger beakerkin said...

I know plenty of Gays in NYC and they range from well adjusted to the insane like any other group.

My heterosexual preference does not define me or say a thing about my charachter or abilities. Now if you can line up another 200 or so victims groups you might have an easier but less fun job.

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

naperville? he's my brother, he didn't grow up there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home