Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Goal setting activity.....

In my Health classes I am having the kids think about and write down some of their short-term and long-term goals. Many freshman have not even begun to think about the future so this forces them to do so.

I gave them a worksheet and it says: In the next week, one of my goals is to........ (insert goal here). I will reach this goal by taking these steps: (steps listed here). They have to fill this out for a week, next month, 6 months, a year, 5 years and 10 years. I had some kids that raised their hand and said "I can't think of any goals.".......thats not good!!

I was just grading this kid's paper and her goal in the next 6 months is to "stop cutting." She will reach this goal by: "taking my frustration out by writing, its been working so far." WOW. I wasn't expecting that on a goals worksheet!!! Now I have to speak with her, see who she's talked to and then if I have to, report it to the proper people. I hate narking on kids but I will always tell them first and if they tell me things like they have eating disorders, are abused at home, or engage in self-mutilation, I have to tell.

2 Comments:

At 11:59 PM , Blogger Gyrobo said...

A few years ago, I would've seen that kind of, well, tattling as a violation of my rights. Once I turned 18, I began to realize that children have no rights.

 
At 6:16 AM , Blogger stuffle said...

I would have been in the same boat as the kid who couldn't think of any goals. Either that, or my goal would have involved stealing some booze and getting drunk or scoring some weed and getting high, which I probably would have been too chicken-shit to turn in to a narc teacher.

WTF is up with these kids today and cutting? A handful of my daughter's classmates have been in to that at certain points in their lives. I just don't understand it, but it is really becoming a serious issue. It used to be a freak here and a freak there, but now it is almost becoming "mainstream" it seems...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home