Tuesday, March 22, 2005

knock, knock, anyone in there?

In my classes, we just finished up our unit on Mental Disorders and our Spring Break starts this Thursday....sooooo... I decided not to start the next unit but to show a movie instead. Kids are so damn squirrley before Spring Break and many of them have already gotten a jump start and are gone this week as well.

I am showing "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe (won 4 Oscars) and I tried to explain that John Nash has Schizophrenia...but some could just not grasp that concept. His "roommate" does not exist, just a hallucination:

Student: "Teacher, how come he's talking to a guy who's not real?"
Me: "Ryan, he's hallucinating, its a symptom of Schizophrenia"
Student: "So he's not really his roommate?"
Me: "No, he's not real"
Student: "But teacher, in the last scene the roommate and John Nash were sharing a flask....was it floating in mid air?"
Me: "NO, it was not floating in mid air Ryan, John Nash was seeing things that weren't real"
Student: "But, wait, let me get this, this whole time he was living alone at Princeton?"
Me: "ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner!"

YEESH, NOT TOO QUICK ON THE UPTAKE! Can't wait too see how they'll do when the plot thickens in the next part of the movie tomorrow

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger E said...

Chip is so whipped it makes me want to throw up.

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Jodie said...

I'm a psych nurse. I do some guest speaking at one of the high schools here, and the way I explain schizophrenia, is after talking about hallucinations or delusions, I have the students look at one of their hands. Contemplate it, feel it, and then say, "Your hand is as real to you as that hallucination is to the person with schizophrenia." Sometimes this gets through when nothing else does. :)

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Jodie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

Jodie- thats a great idea! I will definitely use that next semester when I teach about it again!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home