Sunday, November 06, 2005

it was a good season


Well, my high school football team lost yesterday in a tough battle in the second round of the state playoffs. There was a 2 hour thunderstorm/lightning delay and the game ended up taking about 5 hours to finish. We lost by a missed extra point. I felt so bad for my athletes. The seniors were crying and many of them cried in my arms.

As you can tell by my filthy hand, I gave many "good season" and "there, there" hugs to my poor kids. Obviously in an appropriate way for all you perverts who will make comments. Our QB was bawling while giving a post game interview. He threw an interception with 12 seconds left as were driving in our own territory to attempt a FG to win.

Another kid still had his jersey on almost an hour after the game, crying saying "Football is all I've known for 9 years, every fall, football. This is the only sport that you can never play again. I will never put on a football helmet again. What will I do?" After I consoled my athletes and the student trainers who were crying I walked out to my car in the pouring rain and saw our big lineman walking around in the dark alone in just a tshirt and shorts. I went over to him to make sure he was okay and he said he needed a walk....and I watched him just walk to the dark practice field and into the woods. It was pouring so I stayed in my car and waited till I saw him come back before I left. Poor kids, high schoolers are so dramatic....everythings the end of the world.

Well, it was a good season with only a couple losses and I'm proud of them. Now if only my Packers can upset the Steelers today!

6 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger NewsGnome said...

TT, Isn't it interesting how the loss of the team you follow affects our feelings for a whole week...waiting for the team to win the next week. Even if you only follow the team just for fun you're down in the dumps. Well there's always next week or next season. You have my condolences.

By the way you can correct the "balling" word by spelling it bawling. Just a suggestion :)

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger sandy said...

Yes, change "balling" to "bawling". It gives your sentence a whole new meaning. I understood what you meant though.

Do you think it's good for those kids to be so affected by a loss of a football game? It is only a game isn't it?

 
At 12:45 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

they have been practicing 6 days a week since the beginning of August. We were supposed to go a lot farther in the playoffs than we did. Same thing happened last year.

I work with the football team every day and teach many of them. Its a way for them to stay out of trouble, and for some of them a future in football is a way out of a crappy, ghetto life. Some know they are not smart enough to go to college, but can run circles around defenders like its nothing.

It is just a game but to people playing its more than that. I was sad our season was over, but mostly sad for my BAWLING students. I'm sure they were much better today when the immediate shock wore off. Its healthy, builds character, and will help drive them next year for those returning.

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TT! Everyone be nice, it's Teacher Tori's birthday today!

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger pappy said...

Happy birthday my friend, had I known I would have asked the Steelers to lose.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Pappy - even if you asked the Steelers to lose, there's no guarantee the Packers could have beaten them! Pathetic really :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home