Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Elephant vs. Donkey

So tonight I watched my boyfriend and sister have it out on their respective blogs about politics. I have come to the realization that we are all passionate people with our own views. We are not going to change. People with views that differ can try and see the other side of things till the cows come home, but we will still believe down to our core that we are right. I will never understand why Democrats think the way they do about basically anything. I make up my own mind on issues, regardless of party lines. I don't blindly listen to everything an elephant has to say, but majority of the time, I like the peanuts he's spewing.

My boyfriend is concerned because I agree with basically everything my sister says in her blog The Ranting Republican. My sister is finishing up her 2nd year of law school and can verbalize thoughts and can argue better than anyone I know. He is finally seeing just how different we are in our views of the world. Is it something that we should be worried about? Absolutely. Can we find common ground on topics? Not likely. Can two people still love each other despite all of this? I think so. My question is: Can a relationship survive when two people are so completely different?

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just know for me personally, I could never date/marry a donkey. These are such core fundamental beliefs that I would want to share with the person I loved. Politics is an enormous part of my life, and goes to the heart of damn near everything. By everything, I mean every day life...it is everywhere! State, local, national...there's just no getting around it for me; and granted, I see it on a daily basis through the law, and the law of politics, and the politics of the law. It may be sad and I'm sure some of you might think: "wow, I feel bad for her because she'll never get past politics and see a person for who they are." Well, politics and political views/opinions say A LOT about who a person is...on many many levels. Maybe you guys can get past it. I know I could not. Good luck.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, by the way...an elephant would kick the crap out of a donkey :) Cheers!

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger E said...

I once went to Bush Gardens and I fed an elephant peanuts.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger E said...

I know I shouldn't give advice but I am going to anyways. Tell your donkey friend of exactly why you choose to be an elephant. Tell him the absolute truth and he'll respect you for being honest. Don't repeat the b.s. that he's already seen on television. Be honest with him even if you don't like it. Honest communication is always the best solution.

P.S. I don't expect anyone to follow this advice, but I'm saying it anyways.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home