Wednesday, April 27, 2005

heebie-jeebies

Since I am closing on my house the day-after-tomorrow, I decided to find out if there are any registered sex offenders living in my neighborhood. As I was looking through the list, I recognized a last name from one of my students. So I looked at this guy's picture, saw his address, and cross-referenced with the address in our school database....sure enough, its my student's father!

This student has been through a lot. She's been in and out of treatment facilities for depression, has attempted suicide, and has had 3 friends die in car crashes. Add her father being a sexual predator to the mix and I understand her so much better now! She occasionally will draw black tears on her cheek and is very knowledgeable on the topics of drugs/alcohol/tobacco.

There are 20 REGISTERED sex offenders living in the town where I am moving.

Now my question to all of you out there.......if you were looking to buy a home and knew there was a convicted rapist living next door, would that have any bearing on you buying that house? Parents, if you knew there was a convicted child molestor and/or child rapist living in the same cul-de-sac as you are looking to buy in, does that automatically make you cross it off the list?

As a female living alone, the fact I am a black belt and own a gun makes me sleep a lot easier at night. All I need now is to get the Great Dane I've been wanting.....either that or steal my parent's 2 dobermen!!

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM , Blogger E said...

I'd be concern if I had a family to take care off. I'd be especially concerned for the children.

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger E said...

dogs are good to have too cause they scare them criminals away

 
At 4:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

guns are the answer.

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

too late for what?

 
At 2:21 PM , Blogger E said...

Today Tori moves into her new house!!! Celbration times everyone. When the teacher wins, so does the children.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home