Saturday, July 23, 2005

elephant/donkey lovin'

I have been doing some thinking lately about relationships. I posted something similar to this a couple months back but I feel the need to talk about it again. I know this one girl who does "match.com". On there she states her political preference as "conservative". She gets plenty of "winks" and emails but as soon as she looks at the profile, and it says "liberal", she says "bye bye" or "sorry" and will read no further.

Those of us who enjoy dabbling in politics from time to time, can we be with somebody who's views are so different from out own? I see how many of us argue on here, but do any of you have relationships that transend the political/philosophical barriers of donkeys and elephants?

I recently broke up with my boyfriend of two years who votes democrat and is a Bush-hater. For the first year or so, we decided to ignore the issue.....which wasn't always easy b/c I am involved in the Republican Party and he was a poly-sci major. He wrote an editorial for his college newspaper and which "Bush-bashed" about every other edition. Then the election came around and it just got tougher. I had to go to political events/outings/dinners alone and that was tough.

My question is to all of you.........do you think that someone who's core political beliefs are radically different from your own would be someone you could spend your life with? Would your families get along? I know our families couldn't be more different. When he told his parents I was a republican, they said "oh my god, you're a republican?" Or should things like this not get in the way of loving someone?

I have also noticed lately that I have been getting annoyed with my friends. Its more the "Bush-haters" or the "we shouldn't be in Iraq" people that really don't know what they are talking about. I think sway whichever way the wind is blowing. Its the middle of the roaders that irk me.....b/c you know that if you stand in the middle of the road....you get run over.

I have a good friend who I'm 99% sure was a Republican annoy the hell out of me the other day. He is in Chiropractor school, (lots of hippies), and just got back from a month-long jaunt in Europe. I asked him "Were there a lot of America-haters and Anti-Bush people over there?" He said, "yeah, everyone hates the US, hates Bush and is against the War." I said, "thats too bad" and he said "well, what is your approval rating of Bush right now?" I said "I love him, admire him and think he's doing a fine job with everything he has on his plate right now." To which he replied "are you fucking kidding me? He's a stupid idiot. I don't know how I'm friends with you."

Immediately, my respect for him shot way down. Is that awful for me to admit? Its like he's been influenced by all his friends and from being in Europe and sounds just like every other commie that I can't stand. I have to learn to realize that my friends can think however they please and being a teacher, I won't have any friends if I keep this up. Have any of you ever had issues with friends after you find out their view and thoughts on things?

Thanks in advance for the comments, I really would like to know what elephants and donkeys alike think in response to relationship and friendships.

5 Comments:

At 9:11 PM , Blogger William said...

I don't really date so I can't say how politics would affect a relationship.

 
At 4:05 PM , Blogger William said...

I meant that I do not date as in I don't typically enter into long-term relationships so I wouldn't know how politics affect something like that.

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger William said...

Yeah they do! That's why you're having dreams about me. ;-P

 
At 11:13 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

Well, I'd prefer to have my cake and eat it too! I want a guy who is active in politics AND republican! Why can't I have it all?

J/K....sort of. To be honest, we didn't break up because of our different political philosophies, we fell in love despite all that. So I do know its possible.

I've never been given anyone's class ring...they don't do that stuff anymore. At the high school I teach at, guys don't give their class ring or their letterman's jackets to their girlfriends. Thats too bad b/c I think its really romantic!

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger William said...

Aww, MT you're such a softy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home