Thursday, August 25, 2005

Best game ever...and so telling

When I think about my elementary school days, one game comes to mind...Oregon Trail. I could tell way back then that I was a Capitalist Republican b/c I always chose to be "the banker" instead of the carpenter or farmer. I wasn't able to fix a broken axel on my wagon like the carpenter could...but I could afford to pay someone!! I bet if you were to have a bunch of people play, that you could tell who were the Dems and who are the Republicans.

I loved playing it on my Apple IIe and IIgs. I learned how to trade for clothing, that inclimate weather could slow your trip, that sometimes its better to pay the ferry to get across the river instead of trying to ford it and the oxen drown, and I got plenty of practice on how to write my own epitaph on a tombstone. Damn dysentery kept killing my family!

What a stroke of genius, a game that is fun AND helps you to learn. I wonder if you can still buy it anywhere that would work on our laptops of today.

Anyone else have fond memories of this game they'd like to share? SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PICTURES THAT MIGHT JOG YOU OLD MEMORIES YOU MIGHT HAVE DRANK AWAY!

5 Comments:

At 9:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Damn I miss that game! Independence Rock and all that! Wow, what a great game...we should try and find a good one, but I bet it's all high-tech and not so cool anymore :)

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

my computer doesn't have a slot for that huge, bendy, floppy disk that was the size of my entire hand.

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger stuffle said...

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PICTURES THAT MIGHT JOG YOU OLD MEMORIES YOU MIGHT HAVE DRANK AWAY!

Nope, never played it, or even heard of it before. OTOH, if you were playing this in elementary school, I would have been in college. Didn't play a lot of computer games then.

Looks like a neat game though.

 
At 10:55 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

Ranting Republican and I used to play "Leisure Suit Larry" on our IIgs. It was awesome!

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger stuffle said...

Ah, "Leisure Suit Larry", now there is a game I remember (but yet again a game I have never played, such a sheltered life I have led)... There was some other series of games from Sierra from about the same time that I actually did play, though. "King's Quest" or something like that...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home