Sunday, September 11, 2005

NEVER FORGET

I think about 9.11.01 every day of my life. It has forever changed me. I will never forget the images I saw or the emotions I felt....they are burned into my soul along with an intense hatred of terrorists but also a deep love for our country and all the everyday heroes in it. This a poster I found that you have to check out. 9/11 victims.

I was out at the bars last night in downtown Chicago but I just didn't feel right. I would space out while sipping my beer and think about this day 4 years ago. My friends thought I was nuts and a couple of them even forgot about what day it is. I've cried today. I'm angry today. I'm proud today. Here is my 9/11 story:

I remember leaving my Microbiology class at Ohio University and turning on the radio. All I heard was "some plance hit the World Trade Center, it might have been a private plane." I thought to myself "thats unfortunate, I hope everyone's okay" and I went to get a bagel. Just as I got home to eat my onion bagel with scallion cream cheese I turned on the TV and saw the second plane it. Then the Pentagon, then Flight 93 in Pennyslvania. It was so surreal.

All of our classes were cancelled and I just sat on my couch waiting to hear each bit of information and read the scrolling news on the bottom of the screen. Friends came over and we all watched all night long. The only time I left my house was to fill my car up with gas. Word was getting around that gas prices were going to spike from $1.10 to $3.00 a gallon (haa, haa) and the line was an hour long. I felt like I was in a movie.....everyone was out of their cars, windows down, blasting President Bush's address to the Nation. Nobody talked, we all just sat on our cars and listened. He said we will go after the terrorists and the countries that harbor them. HE HAS KEPT HIS PROMISE.

I made it back to see the tail end of the speech. I remember crying that day and also feeling proud because for that day, there were no Republicans and Democrats, no black or white, we were all simply AMERICANS.

I am fascinated to know everyone's stories about where they were and what they did on 9/11. Can you share your stories?

(p.s tonight at 8pm, 10pm and 12am (C.T) on the Discovery Channel there is a documentary on Flight 93, titled "The Flight that Fought Back." It is a reinactment of the brave men and women that took on terrorists and crashed the plane into the ground. Afterwards the families of the people lost are interviewed. Watch it!)

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I gave my recap of what I had going on in my head September 11th on my blog - but what I keep thinkign about was that I was probably worried about some stupid guy or stupid paper I had to write on September 10th - and how that was "the end of the world" for me. Things like 9/11 put your life in perspective - hopefully.

I'll say it again here - I can't understand how people can have such hatred towards President Bush for things like the hurricane, and can't muster up the same kind of hatred for the terrorists who intentionally killed thousands of people on 9/11 and even before that in other terrorist attacks on Americans. I'll never understand it.

 
At 2:50 AM , Blogger pappy said...

Dont even try my friend

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home