Thursday, October 27, 2005

My conversations with Iraqi War Veteran

I went to visit my alma mater, Ohio University this past weekend to see old friends, and to spend time with a Marine who just got back from Iraq last week. After hearing his stories and experiences over there for almost 8 months, I love our Military even more and am confident we are there for the right reasons.

He lost 16 of his brothers and engaged in some horrible firefights. He had friends die in his arms, and had to carry their burning bodies, skin falling off, away to safety. He warned me that sometimes he wakes up screaming and has nightmares. I hope this will subside but he's only been home a week. I heard him hyperventilating and tossing and turning. Why am I sharing all of this? I'll tell you.

I asked him while sharing a beer: What are your feelings about the War on Terrorism and the War in Iraq? He believes they are one and the same and answered something like this:

"We are not over there to free the Iraqis. Sure thats an added bonus but thats not why we're dying over there. There is a lot of oil in Iraq thats worth billions. We cannot allow the bad guys to gain control of that oil. They will sell it for billions and use that money to buy bad shit to kill us." Even after everything he saw and experienced, both good and bad, he still believes down to his core in our cause there. By killing insurgents and preventing Iraq from harboring and training any future terrorists, we can put a serious dent in the War on Terror.

I see and hear all the anti-war people and it upsets me so much. We are over there to keep the bad guys from hurting us here, I don't see whats so difficult to understand. I've very sensitive when it comes to our military, probably because I've had 2 students die, I have their sisters in class and my friend went through so much and thank god came home safe. He may have to go back and he is prepared for that. I couldn't be more proud of our military and I will do whatever I can for them anytime.

11 Comments:

At 1:35 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

I don't understand what intentions, other than good we could've had by invading Iraq. For oil? Ummm, no, where is it? For WMD, EVERYONE thought they had them and I believe they did. My friend found tons of stockpiles of gas masks.

I truly believe that we went in there to fight terrorism and the countries that harbor them.

 
At 2:48 PM , Blogger supplymadam said...

One fact is we never got our oil from Iraq but what your friend is saying if we do leave now it would become a terrorist state and the terrorists would gain control of the oil and we all know that wouldn't be a good thing and leaving Saddam there would also have been a threat. After 9/11 we couldn't take that chance.
Yes Eddie, Clinton was also for taking Saddam from power as was 80% of congress. The reason the UN was against it was because of the dealings that France,Germany and Russia had with Iraq(all the underhanded dealings).
Isn't it amazing that Saddam's scientists were forbidden to be interviewed by the weapons inspectors. Why do these facts seem to always get swept under the rug? Just another convenience for the Bush haters.

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

So who's going to be FIVE? RR? Stuffle?

THREE

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

"The Soviet Union, which Ronald Reagan called an evil empire, had enough nuclear missiles pointed at the US to blow it off the map, and yet the US never invaded it."

TWO - I think an argument can be made that a big reason we did not invade the Soviet Union was because they ALREADY had those weapons pointed directly at the US. Stepping a foot on to their soil may have set them off.

Here, we know that Saddam had certain weapons of mass destruction. Your reply to that was "so what?" This is an incredibly dangerous mentality - as I'll stipulate so is "so let's go get everyone who has a wmd."

The differences are (1) Saddam was insane and we already knew he had used biological and chemical weapons on his own people - who is to stop him from doing it to others? (2) Most other nations are fairly good at either self-regulating, or complying with UN resolutions because they need help from the UN or US. (3) Whether or not you choose to believe a connection between Iraq and Al-Qaeda is not something I'm willing to argue with you on here, again...but when you give a lot of money, and a lot of weapons to people who are born and raised to HATE Americans, dance in the streets of Baghdad on 9/11, and despise all that America stands for - it's a lose-lose situation, and many innocent people will die.

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

You can't reason with insanity

THREE

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think anyone can say it better than this guy!!!

"The Salt Lake Tribune has a wonderful quote from First Lt. Bruce Bishop, a 31-year-old fireman, who explains that he plans to re-enlist in the Utah National Guard "because as I look around at the state of this nation and see all of the weak little pampered candy-asses that are whining about this or protesting that, I'd be afraid to leave the fate of this nation entirely up to them."

LOVE IT!!!

 
At 1:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh fantastic - look who's back! :)

 
At 1:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

And yes mikejones, I'm aware of who Herman was. So come on, where are the rest of the Republicans are facists and Nazi remarks...I know you're just dying to make them...

 
At 2:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Let me just add that I love the fact that Republicans are considered the war-party when all but two major wars we have ever been involved in, Democrats have put us there...let's recap, shall we?

World War I - Woodrow Wilson (D)
World War II - Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
Korean War - Harry S. Truman (D - and Truman dropped the bomb)
Vietnam - John F. Kennedy (D); Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
Persian Gulf - George H. Bush (R)
War on Terror - George W. Bush (R)

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

"And also, there is a difference between presiding over the two World Wars and Korea and presiding over this nonsense in Iraq."

mikejones - first off, I want to commend you on posting a thoughtful and not antagonizing comment. Now, I am wondering if it would have been okay in your mind to remove Hitler? Seems to me that in previous times, liberating a country and removing an evil dictator who slaughtered masses is a prime liberal issue worth taking care of...

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

10 28 05

Geesh! You get a lotta Leftist trolls huh? LOL! Yes, the usual nothing really to say ignorant of the Iraqi invasion of the Kurds and their genocide and dislikes the Hitler comparison? Do I smell a leftnazi? LOL. Have a nice weekend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home