Saturday, February 11, 2006

putting things in perspective

One month ago, I couldn't have been happier. My job was going well, I started working out, I had a little down time in athletic training and I met a really nice guy.....and then one by one, things started going downhill. First I got a 3rd observation (which isn't a good thing), then the Athletic Director is pissed at all of us trainers so we have a meeting coming up, and tomorrow I have to say goodbye to a great guy. One could say this is a bit of a rough patch. I've been a HUGE stressball until something else happened today that put it all in perspective.

My best friend at my high school (I'm the only non-family bridesmaid in her wedding) told me on Wednesday that her dad had to go into the hospital. He has diabetes so they figured it was something to do with that. On Friday they got some test results that possibly indicated some kind of blood cancer or lymphatic cancer....which is not good so he was transferred to a research hospital in downtown Chicago. I spoke with her around lunchtime today while chaperoning a ski trip in Wisconsin and she said he was doing alright. She planned on going to see him later in the afternoon and she would let me know his condition as soon as they got the test results back. One hour later her fiance called me and told me he had just died. She did not get a chance to see him today or to say goodbye. I believe he was around 50 years old.

It's funny, just when you think your life sucks, life throws you a curveball and your troubles seem so small. 4 days ago, her dad seemed just fine, and little did we know cancer was silently killing him. She and her family are completely devestated. He was supposed to walk her down the isle for her wedding in July. This just breaks my heart and I'm scrambling to figure out how I can help. Does she want to hear from her friends? Does she just want to be left alone with her fiance and family? We are taking care of her classes so she doesn't have to worry. I'll probably stop by her house tomorrow and simply be there if she needs me.

Suddenly, my last date tomorrow and my precarious job situation doesn't seem so awful. I called my parents (who are on a Valentine's Day weekend vacation) and told them I loved them. What you can take out of my friend's tragedy.......and in the spirit of Valentine's Day.......you can never say "I love you" enough to the people you care about. If you love someone, say it, shout it out to the world. I'm sure it's understood by our loved ones how we feel but you never know what is around the corner. I'm sure my friend would give anything to be able to tell her daddy that she loves him so much. I believe that god doesn't give me more than I can handle so I'll take one hurdle at a time and do my very best to stay positive and appreciate all the good I have in my life.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 PM , Blogger Military Arms said...

Tori,

I'm sorry to hear about your friends father passing. I hope she is a Christian and finds some comfort in knowing he's gone home with our Father and is in very good hands. I know this can be hard to accept (as I lost my father to cancer). She will need your friendship, so go see her.

You're right, it's things like this that can put life back into perspective. You sound like a great person, so relax and let things happen. You're going to find Mr. Right and you're going to be happy, just enjoy each day and don't be impatient.

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

thanks for the nice comments guys! I decided to stop by her house last night and and simply watched tv with her. She said just having me there was nice. I told her that none of us are sure what do do and she said "I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing!!!!!"

So thanks for the kind words. As for the rest of my life......crap happens and I'll get through it just like everyone else does! Our life can't always be rainbows and sunshine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home