Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Bombing Mecca

Tom Tancredo, a US Rep from Colorado, threw out something quite interesting in a radio address in Orlando on Friday. He was asked what our response should be if Islamic terrorists bombed America soil....and Tancredo threw out the hypothetical idea that we could go after what they hold near and dear......that we should "take out" Islamic holy sites. In other words, bomb Mecca.

In my outrage and anger on 9/11 I thought of that immediately. What if we made an announcement "If there are any more terrorist attacks on American soil in the name of Allah, we will destroy Mecca." What do you think would happen? I understand that the Muslim religion has the most followers in the world. I understand that 99% of Muslims are good, religious, decent people. I also get that it undermines what we are trying to do in Iraq because a good bit of them are Muslim.

I just want to throw Rep. Tancredo's words out there and see what you all think. When you are dealing with people who have no morals, no regrets, no allegiance to any nation, and would blow themselves up in the name of their holy one..........would they make the ultimate sacrifice to Allah and stop their terrorism in order to preserve their holy land??????

8 Comments:

At 11:21 AM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

then maybe all the terrorists will be so distraught they'll just blow themselves up instead of other people.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger William said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:46 PM , Blogger William said...

I cannot say that I agree on this one. Normally, I am all in favor of a tough response. However, such a threat presupposes that the entire Islamic world is somehow involved with the terrorist activity or at least responsible for it.

There are many radical Christian cells in America responsible for hate crimes and in collusion with various Aryan groups—the Christian Identity movement as its called. Despite their often-murderous actions I think it would be absolutely dreadful to threaten blowing up a Christian holy site.

The idea of blowing up a holy site is just repugnant to me…even if it is just a threat and that threat would only give credibility to the anti-U.S. propaganda spread by terrorists.

 
At 9:00 PM , Blogger William said...

I was actually surprised to see you agree with this proposition MT considering your posts about Islam and graffiti on the blog you showed me. They seem, to me at least, to be in opposition.

 
At 10:39 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

Bombing Mecca actually reminds me of something that happens often in my classroom

For those of you who don't know, I teach high school and have some troublemakers in class.

Is it fair to keep my entire class after the bell to punish the actions of a few bad seeds? No. Its not fair to upset the majority of kids who are being good, but its often hard to pick out exactly which ones were causing the trouble behind my back. But does peer pressure from the majority cause the bad seeds to fall in line, sometimes.

Of course bombing Mecca is extreme and punishes the good people as well as the bad. I don't ever forsee this being an option, I was just throwing it out there. Do you think the real threat of this would stop terrorism?

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger William said...

I think that threat would increase terrorism. Radical muslims are extremists to say the least; they engage in suicide attacks without care. If we crystalize the issue and directly threaten the "heart" of their religion I cannot see them simply saying okay we'll stop; I think they'll go even more nuts and start bombing churches.

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger William said...

PS. Tori, this is Will.

 
At 11:00 PM , Blogger Teacher Tori said...

i just figured that out when i went to your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home